A deeply relaxing meditation practice that uses visualisations to help you learn and grow.
What is Yoga Nidra?
True Yoga Nidra is powerful. It is a very calming, transformative, and rewarding meditation method that is practised lying down on the floor. Combining deep relaxation with dream like visualisation techniques, it allows us to observe and understand the connection and dialogue between our conscious and subconscious minds. Unlike other meditation methods which are based on non thought or mindfulness, Yoga Nidra is deeply engaging and requires active participation. This means you can likely expect results much faster with Yoga Nidra than other meditation styles. Yoga Nidra is not only a powerful tool in helping with stress and related problems but it can also be used to manifest permanent and positive changes to our lives.
The Deepest State of Relaxation.
The first part of a typical Yoga Nidra session is all about relaxation, you will be guided through several techniques that will allow you to completely and utterly relax every fibre of your body. The aim of this is to enter the very subtle state which is halfway between being awake and asleep, so that you are mentally aware, and physically inert. This in itself is a very useful tool for being able to let go of physical and emotional stress and tension.
The second part of the Yoga Nidra meditation uses visualisations which you either intentionally create or simply observe. It is like we have fallen asleep and are dreaming, except we are mentally aware and awake. You will learn to take control of the visualisations, to guide the experience if necessary.
Make Your Mind Work for You.
This is where the magic of Yoga Nidra happens. In reaching this state we are able to observe the images that are spontaneously created by our subconscious minds and also to consciously create our own images. Doing so means that we are consciously placing symbolic images in the deepest part of our minds which with repetition will take root and begin to influence our behaviours and attitudes in the positive manner we have chosen.
This technique can be used to make lasting, positive changes to our lives. A Yoga Nidra session is a deeply personal experience and each session will be different.
It is very important that the first few times you go through this practice you are guided by a competent teacher. However once you are familiar with the practice there is no reason why you cannot do it unaided.
What will you get from a Yoga Nidra Meditation?
Yoga Nidra uses highly developed deep relaxation techniques. By decreasing your heart and respiration rate, relaxing your muscles, and clearing your mind, these deep relaxation techniques can help:
- Lower blood pressure.
- Decrease anxiety, depression.
- Help alleviate insomnia, and improve sleeping patterns.
- Reduce physical pain.
- Improve energy levels.
- Improve your overall well being and coping abilities.
Gain understanding and perspective of your life.
Yoga Nidra opens up the subconscious parts mind for conscious analysis. Doing so means that you can begin to learn and understand how your behaviours are affecting your life. It also gives you the power to consciously direct your life in a way that you want.
Release yourself from stress / anxiety.
The depth of rest and relaxation is much deeper in Yoga Nidra than other meditation methods. This means that it is one of the most powerful tools available in the yoga traditions for helping people release stress and overcome anxiety.
Unlike other silent meditations I will be there guiding you throughout the session. This means that you are much less likely to become distracted by your own thoughts during the meditation. You will be able to focus on following the instructions and can quickly go deep into yourself. This is why you can expect results from Yoga Nidra much faster than other types of meditation.
Learn how to use this powerful meditation method.
You will not only get to enjoy the full meditation but each session will also have an explanation and discussion of the Nidra. Repeating this will cement the practice in your mind so that you to learn how to confidently do a full Yoga Nidra on your own, anywhere, anytime.
Yoga Nidra one off Session. 60 minutes. – £20
A full Yoga Nidra meditation session. The first ten to fifteen minutes of the session will be discussing and preparing for the meditation, this is very important in Yoga Nidra as the more prepared you are the more effective the session will be.
In the second part I will guide you through the Yoga Nidra. There are several different Yoga Nidra visualisations that we can choose from, however some of these techniques are quite advanced so your first session with me will always be a basic introduction to Yoga Nidra, during which we will introduce the basic concepts and go over the structure of yoga nidra and how it works. Once you have completed the first session we will discuss which meditations and visualisations we will use in further treatments.
Multiple Yoga Nidra Bookings.
Please contact me so that we can discuss your needs and what you would like to get from yoga nidra. Together we can tailor a suitable plan, deciding how many sessions are necessary and fixing a price that is affordable.
I learnt Yoga Nidra at Shankar Prasad Foundation in Gokarna India. For more information on the ashram there see their webpage.
"There is something very special about Laurence’s yoga class. It has a very welcoming and healing energy. He is also very playful and that attitude is relaxing and refreshing! The actual asanas are very toning and the Nidra style relaxation at the end is divine!!! Highly recommended."Georgina
- "Laurence's yoga teaching is of a very high standard. He is very experienced and passes on his knowledge and skills in a clear, easy to follow way as he helps all ages and abilities achieve exercises and poses relevant to their fitness and experience level. Laurence's warm, friendly nature combined with his professionalism and enthusiasm for his art result in excellent instruction. His love of yoga and teaching is evident as he creates a welcoming and safe environment in which to learn. Learning yoga with Laurence is fun, enjoyable, relaxing and non-threatening."Erin
- "Laurence is a great teacher, full of wisdom and patience. I can't recommend his classes highly enough."Ian
- "Having only just started yoga I have been really impressed with Laurence's teaching and pace of the classes. He always has a method for breaking a move down, helping you to achieve the final position in small steps. His knowledge and ability have certainly inspired me to take my yoga further."Josh
- "I am very new to yoga and was somewhat apprehensive before my first lesson. I had been worrying that I would do things wrong and didn't know what to expect. Laurence is an incredibly knowledgeable, patient teacher and has been an absolute pleasure to work with. His classes are fun and structured to enable you to get as much as possible from every session. Laurence will adjust you but also check that he isn't pushing you too far; whilst also helping you to put a little more energy into each position It's also very nice to be given information on the philosophy of yoga as it brings much more depth and meaning to the class."Soph
"Laurence is one of those teachers who is so immersed and involved in the pleasure of his teaching that every minute of the class was challenging, fun, engaging, inspirational and spiritual! I can't wait to find another opportunity to visit Suffolk so that I can go back."Jan